Monday, November 30, 2009

That snowy feeling

Woke up this morning with a foot in my ear-my daughter climbed in and slept fitfully from about 3am. When I got out of the shower and got the kids up, I walked into the kitchen and looked out the window for the first time and realised that there was snow on the ground. I immediately yelled to the kids to go and look out the front window. The next thing that I heard was their squeals of delight and I joined them to see the light coating of wet white on the trees, the lawns, the cars. Here we go again.
I don't always like snow and winter, but how can you not get excited when you see the big flakes falling and your children are jumping up and down? It's not here too early, I didn't have to shovel, I have new snow tires, I'm ready baby!
Talk immediately turned to Christmas. I have not been a fan of Christmas in recent years. I hate the hype, the shopping, the spending, the feeling that it's something to rush through and then it's over and I'm tired and I feel like I missed it. This year I will try to do what I want to do - Christmas baking, if I have time make a few things for people, getting together with friends, stopping to enjoy moments through the eyes of my kids. Yes, it will probably still run by, but I think I'm ready to try to love it again. And it will start with a little music...

No comments: