Tuesday, March 27, 2001

Goodbye India
Am half-way through Rushdie's latest, The Ground Beneath Her, and am really enjoying it. It's not his best, but so-so Rushdie is still way better than so many other authors. I'm at the part where Rai says goodbye to his homeland. While reading it last night, it struck me that this also Rushdie's farewell to India and his coming to terms with the end of that chapter in his life. It was so wonderful to be in the headspace of somebody else who had left home and loved it and hated it but just couldn't go back. I like the way he explores how we create the places where we live in our minds and memories. I suppose to some extent, we also create the people around us by perceiving them or recalling them in a certain way which may not coincide with reality. Don't want to get too heavy here but I really think he's exploring some interesting ideas in this novel. Has anybody else read this book?

No comments: