Saturday, May 15, 2004

I'm not big-boned

Last night was a bit of a bust. I fell asleep singing Ben to sleep. I was planning on getting a bit more done. I've come to the realisation that none of my pre-maternity clothes really fit properly yet. This means that I will be wearing my not-pregnant-looking maternity clothes to the office next week, because I refuse to buy bigger clothes. I figure that if I get truly comfortable, then I'll never lose the weight. I'm thinking about doing weightwatchers. When I was about 20, I did weightwatchers with three other friends and it was fun and I lost about ten pounds. Back in those days, the plan was based on the food guide, so it was broken down into so many proteins, breads, veggies, fruits, dairy, fats and I think some extras for blowing on ice cream sundaes once a week. Now, they have 'points'. As far as I can tell, this means that you could blow all of your points eating chocolate cake and then starve for the rest of the day. This doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I checked out some of the sample recipes on the ww site, and they don't seem to have the old system calculations, but the recipes look very tasty, mushroom and wild rice stew, potato-wrapped salmon, and key lime pie! Maybe I'll get the cookbook and have a go!

2 comments:

Lisa Durbin said...

Weightwatchers is one of the more sensible diets out there. Yep, you could eat all your points in cake if you wanted to but you'd probably feel a bit hellish after a week or so of doing this. ;) It's pretty simple - one point equals a certain amount of fat and calories, so it's a calorie restricted diet (and a fairly easy way to keep track of your daily food intake). You can also track your food on something like fitday.com. Figure out how many calories a day you need to lose weight (in general, take your ideal weight in lbs. and add a zero for total calories per day) and enter your food in your daily journals.

My advice: eat lots of lean protein (grilled meats and fish), veggies and fruit, dairy (low fat versions), complex carbohydrates (wholewheat bread, brown rice, wholewheat pasta), and don't fall for "low fat" or "light" desserts without reading the labels. They tend to be very high in sugar and calories. The Weightwatchers cookbooks aren't bad, but I prefer to adapt "normal" recipies instead. Good luck!! :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link to Fitday, it's really useful! Like most other people, I know how to eat, but the pregnancy, my love of cookies, and being at home really got away from me. I need to exercise more too, although I am getting some for carrying around a 20lb wriggling baby :-)