Sunday, June 14, 2009

A change of subject


Good day in the townies. I was tired all day, but that had everything to do with the fact that I woke up at 3am and only started drifting back to sleep just as Nomi appeared by my bed with her plastic cookware making me squash and insisting that I eat it with an ice cream scoop. We drove out in my new car, everything is a-ok. The car drives beautifully. We had some lunch and dad gave the kids each a tool belt. The kids had been asking to build something the last time they were visiting. When I was little, one of my favorite activities was sitting down with one of my dad's hammers, some scraps of wood, and salvaged nails and building things. I started doing this when I was Nomi's age and it really hasn't ever stopped. My dad started letting me help with smaller projects when I was around Ben's age, and by the time I was 10 I was helping build garages and roofing. The ability to build something, no matter how crooked, is a powerful thing. It opens up a world of unlimited possibilities, it reinforces that we can create anything when we put some imagination and thought behind it. Today, my kids took a step towards that discovery and they were surprisingly good at it. I watched my dad coach the kids through how to hold a hammer and connect pieces of wood and watching them make mistakes, and letting them make mistakes, and I thought about how amazing a guy he is and how patient he was with me when he taught me all the things that I know. I'm sitting here writing this and crying now. I'm am so lucky to have had such a great dad. This seems to have become my early Father's day post. I love you Pop! You've given me more than you will ever know and more than I have time to list and I love you.

No comments: