Friday, October 14, 2005

Last day

Today was my last day of work, and I actually made it! I thought for sure that something was going to happen Thursday night, but no, just my paranoia and aching back and twinges. I had to pack up my office, put all my files into storage, brief people, and throw all my personal crap into a box to take home. I also had to clean out my laptop, you can really accumulate a lot of personal junk on your work computers. I went to see my doctor this afternoon and she was as surprised as I was that I have managed to hold out this long-then she told me to hold on until Monday because she's not on call this weekend. The only reason that she's my doctor now is because my doctor with Ben was on vacation when he was born and I liked her as soon as she stuck her head into the room and we swapped a few casual jokes in the operating room. It would be nice if she was there for the delivery, but I know that it's not unusual to not have your doctor there for the final moments. As far as I can tell, if you have a fairly regular delivery, it's the nurses and interns that do most of the nitty gritty and the doctor comes in for the catch.

It's all starting to get a bit unreal - I'm starting to have that, "I'm going to have a baby - oh my God" feeling. I'm excited, but it's starting to freak me out a bit.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wheeeeeeeeeee! I'm excited for you! Did you get to labour with Ben, or did you go in for the c-section right away? I'm really curious to know how second births go for moms who didn't get to labour during #1.

Sending you many happy thoughts from across the pond and I can't wait to meet the wee one in December!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Lisa!
I went into labour with Ben, water breaking, the whole thing. Perhaps I will recap that birth story before the second one, it's refreshingly pain-free :-)