Sunday, December 18, 2005

Shopping with a smile

I finished my Christmas shopping this weekend, and it was a pleasure. No, I'm not a masochist with a thing for overheated crowded shopping malls full of stupid people who don't know where they're going, rude salespeople, and screaming children. On Saturday, I let Steve and his brother mind the children (I ran away clicking my heels), and I went with my mother-in-law to Pointe Claire village. Free parking, beautiful sunny day, and fantastic shopping! I discovered little treasures in the tiny shops that line the block and a bit on the lakeshore. Handmade, unique gifties for just about everyone, and stuff that you just don't find at the big chain stores. I'm also happy to report that the prices were very reasonable. Instead of killing myself going from store to store and getting frustrated and tired, I enjoyed a free couple of hours with helpful store clerks who actually wanted to serve me and always asked if they could gift wrap presents with a smile. I talked to store owners who told me stories about various products in their stores and got free samples of all manner of edible goodies and free coffee. It was heaven! Malls suck the happiness out of this wonderful time of the year. If you really want to get into the spirit, head for the small stores and support your local merchants. You won't regret it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yay! I'm so glad to see someone else extolling the virtues of the local shopping street over big malls/megastores. My christmas isn't complete without a walk along Sherbrooke St. West in Westmount. It's not cheap, but there are good deals to be had, and such a pleasant experience!