Tuesday, April 22, 2003

Famished
I'm back from my glucose test and I'm starved! Someone, pass me that pile of sandwiches and easter bunnies and stand back!
It went alright, I thought that they were going to suck way more blood out of me, and the stuff that they make you drink isn't so bad, just not very appetizing. As usual, there's a study going on for this test. Apparently, there's a long test (3 hrs), and a short test (1hr). Normally, you go in for the 1 hour test, and if you get a normal reading, then you're ok, but if you test high, then you have to go back for the 3 hour test. The problem is, about 75% of the positive results end up being false after the second test is administered. The new idea is to do one 2 hour test that's more accurate, thereby preventing a lot of women from having to return, pay for expensive parking, and lose time at work. As a part of the study, they have you pick an envelope that has either the 1 and 3 hour test, or the 2 hour test and I assume that they will eventually decide which method is the most cost and time efficient for the staff and patients. I picked the old method (1,3), so I hope that my blood studied up last night and I don't have to go back!

No comments: