Friday, January 31, 2003

Cont'd
So let's see, for the first two weeks after I found out that I was pregnant, I was so freaked out that I couldn't talk about it. This of course meant the Steve had no one to talk to about it, which if you know Steve, practically killed him. I went to my regular doctor, expecting a whole bunch of tests and stuff, but she just gave me a quick go over and gave me a list of obstetricians she recommended. Apparently, the home pregnancy tests don't leave a lot of room for error. I found an obstetrician, but it was harder than I thought. A lot of the names of the list were attached to very mean receptionists who rudely informed me that the doctor was not taking more patients. When I finally found a nice receptionist, I jumped at whoever she was working for, luckily, the doctor seems like a nice man with a sense of humour, I'm not sure what I would have done if I hated him.
During the trip to New York I found out what "morning sickness" is. I was travelling with my male boss and had no intention of telling him what was going on yet. I'm not a permanent employee, and I was still hoping that they would be able to make me one in January. I was afraid that if I told anyone that I worked with that it would greatly decrease my chances. It wasn't easy to pretend that I was fine, but luckily it was a guy after all, so it was probably easier than I thought at the time. The hardest part was eating lunch and dinner with him and trying not to be sick all over his plate. At the end of the trip, we were waiting at the airport and he said that he was going to get something to eat. I was quite happy to hang out alone with the bags and relax. Instead of eating at the food court, he returned with a fast food meal and sat down next to me and ate it. The smell of a whopper and fries when you can't stand the smell of food, is probably the worst thing ever. The best part of the trip was visting Kuan and finding out that she too is expecting. Her due date? Approximately two days before mine :-) Couldn't have timed that better even if we tried, what a shame that we live so far apart.

No comments: