Monday, February 10, 2003

Your call for Valentines ideas and reminiscing is a wonderful idea, Rebecca. To your list of topics, I'd add just one: memorable dates.

You see, I've never been a very romantic girl. In the past, I eschewed the nice, sweet guys for exotic types and torrid nights. If they were interested in me, I wasn't in them. When I finally came to my senses (several years and broken hearts later), I met a wonderful guy who turned out to be my best friend with a bonus, as Alanis said.

But I do some very vivid memories of dates gone wrong. Like the time I kissed Mr. Hot Fraternity Stud, stepped out of the car half tipsy, and fell into the ditch (and I actually hoped he would call back!). Or the time I went on a date with an exotic studmuffin to Niagara-on-the-Lake. Impetuous soul (idiot) that I was, I took off my kid leather heels, hitched up my shimmering peach knit dress and walked along the waterside, whereby I promptly fell in up to my waist. I took refuge in his sportscar as the perfume of rank Lake Ontario topped off my wet charms.

I never felt sweet or coy or alluring enough to have romantic experiences. I guess I should have just stuck to sneakers and cycling shorts, 'cause that's always when I had my best luck with the opposite sex. Especially with those who could climb up a tree with me or roll around in the dirt.

No comments: