Friday, March 07, 2003

Another post inspired by TV

I have a question: In the new Juicy Fruit commercials with the guy playing guitar and singing the old Juicy Fruit song ("Get your skis shined up, grab a stick of Juicy Fruit, the taste is gonna move ya") why is he so badly treated? There are these other two guys, who I guess are supposed to be cool, and they smash his guitar in one spot and suck him into a garbage truck in another. Now, I don't claim to be super-cool or anything, but I'm totally into the guitar guy and harking back to those great Juicy Fruit ads from the 70s or 80s or whenever. If I came across that guitar guy in real life, I'd be smiling and tapping my foot and feeling like a big ole stick of Juicy Fruit. Are we supposed to relate to the mean guys instead, who, remember, earn their living driving a garbage truck? Sure, they're snowboarders, but you never see them do anything worthwhile, like snowboarding or playing guitar or singing. They're just useless and mean. It seems like really bad advertising to say "oh, Juicy Fruit ads from the past were so lame, and in fact maybe Juicy Fruit itself wasn't as good as it is now in these new blister packs". It would have been much more effective to go with the guitar guy and do a whole new version of the Juicy Fruit song for a younger generation, with a nod to the retro style and aesthetic of the original.

And, is it just me, or does Rob on Survivor: Amazon look like the love-child of Jerry Lewis and Dean Martin?

No comments: