Tuesday, June 25, 2002

Is it any coincidence? Ice storm redux
What a glorious long weekend it was! You couldn't have asked for a better day yesterday right? You could if you had no electricity from roughly Sunday evening 6:00 p.m until 4:00 a.m today. The up side was you didn't need to worry about getting cold, but you did need to think about keeping the contents of your fridge and freezer cold. By noon yesterday any outlet close to our house that had it, had run out of ice. I managed to snag the last 3 bags at two different outlets. Since ice was inadequate for the freezer, I wound up by taking the contents of the freezer to my mother-in-law's place.

I found it odd that nearly everybody who was out was restored fairly quickly. However, in the Anglo enclave where I live, (note it was St. Jean Baptiste Day) there were 43 alleged work crews working on the problem. We called Hydro about 4 times yesterday and each time we called we got a different answer. Not once did I see a Hydro truck anywhere. However, I did see Videotron trucks buzzing around.

What was particularly haunting were the sounds of generators going at houses that had them. Neighbours did share their power with others. I found the whole thing very reminiscent of January 1998 and I can't say I felt warm and fuzzy. I felt warm all right but not in the least fuzzy.

Anyway, I finally heard the evidence of the work crews at about 1:30 a.m. when I heard chain saws going and some peculiar beeping noises. Finally at 3:50 a.m. the light in the bathroom next to our bedroom went on and all of a sudden we were bathed in light. Then I discovered that the fridge had leaked water all over the kitchen floor (bags of ice melting in the fridge and condensation from the ice bags). So I had a mess to clean up at that ungodly hour. (I also have hardly slept now for 2 nights...a total of about 6 hours...Sunday night I kept listening for the power to come back on as I did last night and am not a happy camper this morning.)

There is a thunder storm in the forcast today and I am keeping my fingers crossed that some tree doesn't fall down and start the whole thing all over again.

I hope that Canada Day is less stressful.

No comments: