Thursday, June 06, 2002

Waiting....
I hate waiting, I'm not a patient person. I always arrive for appointments early or on time so that I never inconvenience others, and I tend to expect the same thing from others, even if I know that they're always late. My doctor always runs late. No matter when I make an appointment, she has never seen me on time. I take this into consideration and always bring something to do or plan to walk around and get some errands done while I'm waiting. I had an appointment with her yesterday. I arrived on time, asked the receptionist how late she was running and left to do errands. I returned 30 minutes later, sat down and started to wait. I waited for an hour and a half. The receptionist left for lunch, the phone rang endlessly. I pulled some work out of my bag and did that for a while, but it's hard to concentrate when you're angry. Finally, it was my turn. I was ready to lambaste her good and proper, but when she walked into the exam room the first thing that she said was, "I know you want to kill me right now". I had my sarcastic mad comments I'd prepared during my long fume ready and now I had nothing snappy to say but, "yes". Then she told me how she's going to start being less of a doormat to patients who don't respect time constraints. After she went on about this for 5 minutes, I realised that she's never going to change, but I wasn't going to tell her that. I'll just start calling her receptionist before I leave for the next appointment.

No comments: