Thursday, June 13, 2002

Is it me? Or am I just being a Yutz?

This morning I got 2 voicemails that were really cringeworthy, or if you prefer really Dilbertian. Here is the scenario.

I have been asked to draft up an outline for some orientation training which will be given to all new employees. I have done so and submitted it to my boss for her feedback.

Last evening she called me at 7:30 p.m. from her home in Toronto, leaving me a voicemail at work that was over 2 minutes long explaining to me what changes she wanted me to make to the outline. The second voicemail came shortly thereafter (the vmail system clearly had cut her off) this was only about a minute long, but it wheezed on some more about how I need to include a piece about my role. She also wants me to include my picture in the orientation materials so that people can identify me.

I find this a little weird. Granted I won't be out of here until next March at the earliest and they are paying me to do a job after all. But there is something about this that I find a) annoying and b) vaguely humiliating.

The thing that peeves me is why couldn't she take the few minutes and talk to me in person? (BTW it is her habit to leave stealth voicemails with everybody, but that isn't the point, I am in Montreal and rarely see her). Am I not worth it? Second, what is she trying to prove by calling me from home in the evening?

Tell me if I'm being touchy and to get over it..or is there something slightly valid here?

Feeling a little abused and neglected (as usual).

No comments: