Tuesday, June 05, 2001

Second day
Hi everybody! My first day of work went pretty well! It only takes me about 20 minutes to get here if I leave home between 7:15-7:40. The office is designed to encourage collaboration between groups. The developers sit near the sales people, I sit near the marketing writers and QA. There are a number of small, open meeting areas called "knowledge collision centres" around the office. There are also floor-to-ceiling whiteboards mounted all over the place so that you can start impromptu discussions just about anywhere. When the developers finish a software version, they spend some time catching up on paperwork next to tech support so they can also find out what's going on with the customers. The philosophy is interesting and certainly different from where I was. The kitchen is very nice and has a dishwasher! So far, the gym has a couple of weight machines, two or three stairmasters, one of those kicking-punching things and some free weights. I'm going to push for an elliptical trainer, those things are way better than stairmasters. Based on my first day, I give this job an 8 so far.

How are they gonna do that?
Due to the Harry Potter craze. The publisher that owns the rights to the Narnia chronicles has plans to republish the series, but edit out the Christian references. Considering that the books are largely Christian allegory, I wish them much luck. While they're at it, they should probably remove all the mythological and fantasy stuff too, that's bound to offend someone.......

No comments: