Friday, March 01, 2002

Friday!
Again we are at the end of the week! I've started reviewing all the manuals that I will be in charge of (40 or so) and editing them. Funny what you find in documents that four other people have worked on. The first thing is that two people I work with, one my boss, seems to think that imperative steps such as "Click OK" do not require a period. The other four writers here disagree with this and we are planning on staging a coup at the next meeting. It's a sentence for heaven's sake! Besides that, there's the old "press, click, click on" thing that has to be resolved. I'm a minimalist and prefer the least amount of words necessary. People don't want to read, so if you make it easy for them by cutting down the number of words in a procedure, they may actually try to follow it before calling tech support. We're way past the time when you had to write "Using your mouse........" instructions, users are more savvy about these things (unless you're writing for AOL or the internet for dummies). So, that's what I'm doing today. I'll keep everyone updated on the coup.

Stupid elves
Damn cleaning elves never showed up! I'll whack them upside their little felt hats the next time I see them. That means that Steve and I will have to clean the house ourselves before the party tomorrow night. Little bastards! Steve can't understand why I get myself into a small tizzy about straightening up the house before company comes. It's what I was always taught to do and therefore have no power over that part of myself that screams "dust, mop, tidy!!!!!!!!!" before parties and such. Is it wrong? Am I neurotic?
House guest
We are getting an unexpected, yet very welcome surprise visitor this weekend. Scott, Steve's brother, is coming for a visit. We pick him up tomorrow from the airport and Steve and I are thrilled!

Halfiversary!
Steve and I have now been married for six months, half a year!!! So far, it's been marvelous, which is good because I think the warranty just expired :-)

No comments: