Thursday, March 28, 2002

Getting The Haitch in Aitch--Where it Comes From,

The phenomenon you observe is one that is particular to what you used to be the municipalities of Verdun and Ville La Salle. People pronouncing their "haitches" went to English (Irish) Catholic schools and they passed this pronunciation on to their offspring. Ask your colleagues what part of town they grew up in and it is 98% likely it was either Ville La Salle or Verdun. You may recall Tracey pronounced hers too. The majority of people in that area of town are of Irish Catholic descent mixed with French (naturually).

I ran into this phenomenon for the first time in 1974 when I got my first summer job. Nearly everybody I worked with came from that part of town and I remarked on it at that time as I thought it was so weird. (I still do.)

But the "haitch" phenomenon goes back to England and I believe the Cockneys pronounce theirs that way. I suspect certain areas in Ireland do as well.

Ditto, I want my Daybreak and Homerun Back!! I want Shelly Pomerantz on "All in a Weekend"!!!

No comments: