Thursday, November 19, 2009

why I do this

Rolling out of bed, it's still dark, minutes before the sky will start to lighten,my feet hit the floor. I slide into the bathroom, the cat has beat me to the sink and is already butting her head against the tap and making trilling sounds at me to turn the water on. I ignore her and pee and put my hair into a ponytail, remove her from the sink, wash my hands and head back to the bedroom to dress. Running pants, long-sleeved shirt, socks, running shoes. I find my gum and my ipod, walk out into the front hall and collect my coat. I stretch, holding, counting, thinking of what I have to do today as I look through the living room window and see the light hitting the cars, their frosty windows reflecting the morning up to me. I breathe, then turn and head downstairs. Locking the door, I turn on my music and suddenly a favorite band is playing a favorite song and I am transported out of time. I run down my street towards the huge orange sun rising over the supermarket, my mind clears, my body responds, this is all that there is.

No comments: