Friday, April 12, 2002

When does a layoff become a layoff?

I am back from the big city...aka T.Owe.... (Toronnah...)

I did my presentation and the end result was the operation was a success but the patient died. I have to do some more work and they want me to go back and give another presentation in 6 months. They loved the idea, (and apparently liked the presentation as well) but wanted it to be developed a little further. That 6 months brings me within another 6 months...The point is, the project will take 7 or 8 months. Now, do you see where we're heading here? My best before date is sometime March 2003.

Yes, I am already being asked to stay on until June 2003, which brings up some interesting issues. I haven't responded as I need to think that one through. Assuming that this is an extension and not a new job offer, it means that I get my package and get to leave during a nice time of year...in other words get my summer off. It also may mean that I can work on contract and do this project and charge a fairly decent rate for it. I don't need to respond for a while yet and plan to wait and see what happens next. So if any of you have any thoughts and observations on this, please feel free to express your opinions.

Dina, you're right, it is a gorgeous day. As for life in the corporate zone, forget it...get out there and enjoy. Life is too short.

No comments: