Monday, May 27, 2002

Hand me that allen key
It was a very nice weekend all around. First, we didn't have to go anywhere out of the city, which is nice after spending a couple of weekends away from home. Second, the weather was so nice compared to what we've had lately. I talked to two of my neighbours who were outside doing lawn work that I hardly saw all winter. Third, we finished the livingroom painting and put the livingroom and the diningroom back in order. Actually, Steve finished painting the trim while I followed him around picking up newspapers and removing tape, and then Steve put everything back together in the rooms while I went out and endured the grocery stores, I figured it's a fair trade. When I returned, two rooms had been transformed from absolute disaster areas to rooms you can walk into and use.
On Sunday we hopped in the car and went to Ikea to hunt for something to put the tv on. We found this, which is very nice. We also got a nightstand for Steve and got home and put everything together. I love putting together Ikea furniture. It's like a big Kinder egg. You drag the box home (thoughtfully engineered to fit in the trunk of a mid-size car), open the box, take out the picture of what it's supposed to look like and go crazy. Actually, I'm very impressed by the instructions Ikea has come up with lately - yay tech writers! It's definitely a challenge to come up with instructions that contain as little text as possible that are also useful. I'd also like to add that the new fasteners they are designing to keep the furniture together are a far cry from the stuff that we used to get from them when I was in CEGEP. That furniture would fall apart in seconds and the box never seemed to contain enough parts, or contained too many, making you wonder what the heck you did wrong and waiting for your diningroom set to collapse in a heap while you were having a romantic dinner with your new beau. My roommates and I kept all the extra pieces just in case they were needed for the next piece of furniture that came from the store. It was fun putting together beds and finding ways to Macgyver the structure so that it was almost sound. I remember one of my roommates did fall through her bed one night at about 2am. Perhaps it was the lawsuits that convinced Ikea to start making a more foolproof product?

No comments: