Tuesday, May 21, 2002

One wedding and some snowflakes
The weekend flew by and now I'm back at my desk wondering where the long weekend went. Friday night I went for a short workout and then spent some quality time at home with the hubby. Saturday morning Steve rolled out the last coat of red in the livingroom and I cleaned up the place so that Steve's friend Ramsay, who came over for playtime, wouldn't think that we live like slobs. While Steve and Ramsay played, I decided to go out and find something to wear to the wedding. I wandered off to the mall and found nothing. You wouldn't believe how uninspiring the stores are right now. I haven't been in a while and there was nothing that made me say "wow, that's nice". The colours all seemed drab and the cuts of the skirts and dresses were so plain. Damn the stores! Why is it that when I have money to spend there's never anything to buy? I came home and found something in the closet that looked decent. I made the friendship cake. It's very good (nyah, nyah). After that, we jumped downtown and saw Spiderman again. It was just as good the second time, but I missed the audience from the opening night. The first time we saw it there was tons of audience reaction and people were really into the movie, Saturday night was quiet (except for me of course). We got home late and fell fast asleep.
Sunday morning we got up and did the coffee thing and wrapped the present. I went out to get a nice bow and picked up some nail polish to match my blouse which looks very lovely on my toes. After the wrapping, painting, showering, buffy watching, and dressing, we drove out to the townies. We went up to the folks' house and hung out for about a half an hour and listened to my dad pick at me. I don't know why, but whenever we're going out somewhere, he looks me up and down and starts to notice things. My hair is curly, my eyes are blue, there's a mole on my cheek. It's like he's never noticed these things before. It's annoying.
We made it to the church without incident and the ceremony was lovely. They wrote their own vows, her dress was beautiful, the church was packed, and everyone looked marvelous. I sometimes wish that we could have written our own vows, but I never would have been able to get them out, I had trouble not blubbering through "I do". After the ceremony came picture time. Did I happen to mention that it was 7C and windy? It was freezing and those poor girls out there posing in front of the manse in sleeveless dresses and gauzy wraps. At one point there were a few snowflakes drifting down. Brrrrr! My grandmother nearly froze waiting around for the family photos.
Off we went to the reception at a ski hill in the States. Everyone got a white pompom, so it was easy for the customs guards to recognize us. The hill hasn't changed much since I worked up there, a few more condos.
I was really looking forward to catching up with Colleen, an old friend from highschool who just happens to be the bride's older sister. It's strange to think that we're kind of related. Anyway, I haven't seen Colleen since graduation (that's a looong time ago) and it was great to see her again and see how well she's doing and how happy she is.
On to the dreaded and interesting part of the evening, the relatives. My uncle from Calgary was there, he's a 'recovered' alcoholic and a first-class jerk. Not only was he drunk off his ass, he was loud and sitting next to me at the table. Next to him was another uncle, also drunk. Alone, they would have been easy to shut up, but together, they were an unstoppable, cackling, swaggering, rude heckling gallery of two. Add to that rather frosty relations between the bride and groom's families and a few incidents which will remain unpublished, and you have a wedding that will be fodder for years to come. We left at 11 and got home at 1, dog tired and ready for a coma-like sleep.
Monday rising came too early thanks to the cats. I was dazed most of the day. Another day off wouldn't have hurt :-)
Off to gym again tonight!

No comments: