Tuesday, August 07, 2001

Invitations on Thursday!
Well, this working from home for a couple of days certainly has turned out to be very useful. Had a great lunch with Tamu and Maggie yesterday and also was able to walk over to the printer and approve the blueprint and make sure that everything was hunky-dory. Maggie has graciously offered to pick them up from the printer on Thursday afternoon so that we don't risk missing the 5:00 closing time. She's also going to help assemble them so that we can start getting them out there. Yay!!!
It's hotter than heck here, when I woke up this morning at 6:30, it was already 27C, uck!
I'm working on my report this morning and going over existing set up manuals for one of my projects. After that, I have to start my grand indexing plan. Currently, none of the manuals have indexes. I gave myself the mandate to index manuals this quarter (as well as my normal work). I like indexing, so I doubt that this will be a problem. The manuals aren't that large either. I have cracked open Elizabeth's style guide section on indexing and refreshed my memory on some of the dos and don'ts. I figure I can get most of them done by the end of quarter.

A very interesting evening...
Steve and I went over the floor plan for the wedding space and came up with a few ideas for placement for clear and wet weather. After this, we started picking out music for the evening. I walked into the livingroom, which we don't use much yet, to look for more cds. I flipped on the light and started rummanging through a box when I saw a shadow on the wall. I thought that it was one of those big moths that got in and turned around to find a bat swooping around the livingroom! Of course I screamed and ran out of the room. When I was a camp counsellor in New Hampshire many years ago, I had to deal with a bat in my cabin. The counsellor-in-training and I managed to trap the damn thing in a plastic bag assisted by tennis rackets, flying bathing suits, a few pairs of riding boots and 15 screaming nine year old girls (I had 16 girls, but one actually managed to sleep through the entire bat capture adventure). The bat was then released outside, well thrown really.
This time, I wasn't keen on doing the bat capture. We called my folks for ideas. My parents have rid their house of many bats over the years, although it mostly consisted of killing them until my dad realised that they ate mosquitos and now tries to lure them to the property with bat houses. After its brief swooping phase, the bat had perched peacefully on the ceiling molding and seemed quite happy there. Dad suggested the old stick-a hat-over-it-and-put-a-piece-of-cardboard-between-the-bat-and-the-wall-and-throw-it-outside technique. Brave Steve, in hat and gloves, performed this technique masterfully. There was a bit of panic in his voice when he said "open the door, open the door!", but he is definitely my hero and capturer of bats. It wasn't happy about being stuck in a hat and starting squeaking violently. Steve threw the hat and the cardboard (which turned out to be the calendar hanging in my den) outside and decided that he would leave it for the rest of the evening. We can only guess that our little furry friend got in through the chimney. Time to call the chimney sweep!

No comments: